Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Burkburnett in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Trinity Lutheran Church

 
 
Trinity Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2021
1. Trinity Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  Herman and Clara (Vogel) Specht platted the Clara townsite in 1886, and the community rapidly swelled with German immigrants. The Rev. Francis M. Rudi of Wichita Falls began to conduct Lutheran worship services in the Clara public schoolhouse in 1899. The congregation assembled there adopted a church constitution on May 24, 1900, with 16 charter members, and called the Rev. Mr. Rudi as their pastor in December. He taught the church's parochial school in addition to his other duties. The congregation erected a church building and a parsonage in 1901 and a larger school building in 1908. In 1918 they hired a full-time school teacher. During World War I, the pastor began to preach in English twice a month, and classes were held only in English. By 1945 the church had 359 members. The congregation continues in the traditions of its founders.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12296.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1900.
 
Location. 34° 5.315′ N, 98° 41.927′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Burkburnett, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 1813. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11867 FM 1813, Iowa Park TX 76367, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ghost Town of Clara (approx. ¼ mile away); Clara Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Receiver Bridge (approx. one mile away); Bridgetown (approx. 1½ miles away); Tenth Cavalry Creek (approx. 3.7 miles away); Thrift (approx. 3.9 miles away); Northwest Extension Oilfield (approx. 3.9 miles away); Burnett Horse Ranch (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burkburnett.
 
Trinity Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2021
2. Trinity Lutheran Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186741

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024