Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Floods and high humidity posed constant threats. Sparks from wood-burning locomotives presented a fire hazard. Inadequate storage space caused overcrowding and improper maintenance.
United States troops burned the structure in 1861 during the Civil War to prevent its seizure by Virginia forces, but later reroofed it and used it as a bakery to produce soft bread for Union troops operating in the Shenandoah Valley.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
Location. 39° 19.368′ N, 77° 43.779′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340) and Potomac Street, on the right when traveling north on Shenandoah Street. Located behind John Brown's Fort in Lower Town, Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerLarge Arsenal Foundation (here, next to this marker); Weapons Under Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal Square (within shouting distance of this marker); "The War That Ended Slavery" (within shouting distance of this marker); John Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Burned, Flooded, and Leveled (within shouting distance of this marker); "for the deposit of arms" (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Armory (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The marker displays a drawing of the burning of the United States Arsenal at Harpers Ferry, 10 p.m., April 18, 1861.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on April 17, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.