Colton in Minnehaha County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
John Edmund Colton / Founding of Colton
In June 1897 John Colton and others opened the Taopi Creamery near this site. It was an immediate success with area farmers, and a small village soon sprang to life as other businesses were drawn to the creamery. The Colton post office was established in 1898. John started The Colton Courier in 1901 and was its first editor. He also was an incorporator and first president of the Colton Telephone Company.
John and Paulina were charter members of the Taopi and Colton Methodist Churches. John held several township offices, was county superintendent of schools, and was
Paul F. Sherman, a Sioux Falls businessman, teamed with John Colton in 1904 to bring a railroad to the town. Because the south end of the original town was low, wet, and was subject to flooding, a decision was made to move the business district to higher ground. John and Paulina platted Third Addition which they sold to the newly formed South Dakota Central Land Company of which John was a director. Local businessmen bought lots; then twenty buildings were moved from the original town site to 4th Street, east of the railroad tracks. Three blocks of residential lots also were sold.
Funds received from the sale of lots, together with pledges from local farmers, were used to build the new South Dakota Central Railroad. John Colton's dream
Erected 2004 by the Minnehaha County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 43° 47.403′ N, 96° 55.849′ W. Marker is in Colton, South Dakota, in Minnehaha County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Avenue and West 1st Street (County Road 110), on the right when traveling south on South Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colton SD 57018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colton Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); South Dakota Central (approx. 0.2 miles away); Taopi (approx. 3 miles away); Huntimer (approx. 3 miles away); Lyons High School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Willow Creek Lutheran Church (approx. 6 miles away); Hartman, 1899-1916 (approx. 7 miles away); To God Be The Glory! (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colton.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2021. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2021. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.