Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canton in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hilliards of Canton

 
 
Hilliards of Canton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
1. Hilliards of Canton Marker
Inscription.  The Hilliard family has long been identified with the general trade business in Canton. Founded because of its central location, Canton became the seat of Van Zandt County in 1850. George McIntosh Hilliard came to Texas in the 1870s and migrated to Grand Saline in Van Zandt County. In 1896, Hilliard opened a general merchandise store in a rented building south of the courthouse at 207 S. Buffalo Street. After buying out his partners, his sons, Samuel Foster Hilliard and George Homer Hilliard, began to help operate the store. In 1913, business had grown to the point that Hilliard purchased several more lots around downtown.

In 1918, the wooden building that had been at one of the newly purchased lots at 209 S. Buffalo was moved with mules in order to make room for a modern, new brick building that Hilliard finished constructing in 1919. The back of the building was used as an undertaking business, with a funeral parlor, embalming room and a display area for caskets and other funerary supplies. The front of the store sold farm equipment, hardware and furniture. By the 1920s, the store at 207 S. Buffalo carried dry goods and seamstress
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
supplies brought from Dallas by Homer’s wife, Gladys. In 1925, Samuel Foster Hilliard reopened the 209 S. Buffalo store as the S.F. Hilliard store and sold hardware, furniture and funerary supplies. The Hilliard furniture and hardware stores have been a visible presence in downtown Canton for more than 100 years. The businesses remained open during population declines in the mid-20th century. For many years, they have supplied goods and services which were otherwise hard to procure in rural Canton.
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18489.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 32° 33.342′ N, 95° 51.826′ W. Marker is in Canton, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on South Buffalo Street (State Highway 198), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 South Buffalo Street, Canton TX 75103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Canton Herald (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Tull, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. Reagan (within shouting distance of this marker); Isaac Van Zandt (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Hilliards of Canton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
2. Hilliards of Canton Marker
Isaac and Frances Van Zandt (about 300 feet away); Van Zandt County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Site of 1896 Van Zandt County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Oran Milo Roberts (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187056

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024