Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Pierre Train Depot

 
 
Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 26, 2021
1. Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker
Inscription.  
In 1880, the Chicago & North Western (C&NW) Railroad completed laying tracks from Tracy, Minnesota, to Pierre, South Dakota, part of the settling of the Dakota Territory. In 1906, a C&NW subsidiary, the Pierre, Rapid City and North Western (PRC&NW) Railroad expanded westward from the Missouri River and track was completed from Fort Pierre to Philip, a route which followed the Bad River. At the same time the PRC&NW laid tracks eastward from Rapid City to the Cheyenne River at Wasta. In 1907, the PRC&NW bridged the Missouri river and complete the section of rails from Wasta to Phillip, finally connecting the Black Hills and Fort Pierre with Pierre and the rest of the C&NW system.

Many railroad structures were constructed along the route including depots, stockyards and fueling stations. One depot was located in Fort Pierre. Built in 1906, it served customers until closing in 1958. By that time, passenger and freight usage had declined to a point that railroad service was unprofitable and may of the buildings were boarded up and abandoned.

In 1963 the railroad declared the Fort Pierre depot as surplus and sold it at
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
auction. Shirley Miller, a rancher from Mud Butte, South Dakota was the successful bidder on the Fort Pierre

(Continued on the other side)

Depot and four others. He moved the Fort Pierre building to his ranch in 1964 and used it as a storage building for nearly 50 years. Most folks in Fort Pierre assumed the depot was demolished. However, in 2003 the intact building was "discovered" and was subsequently donated by Shirley and Erma Miller to Fort Pierre's Verendrye Museum.

A volunteer committee was formed in 2010 to return and rehabilitate the building for use as a railroad artifact. Construction included rebuilding the roof line to the original configuration, new windows and doors, new heating, air conditioning and electrical services, a new floor, and an addition containing bathrooms required by the ADA law. With substantial community support, the reconstruction was completed in 2014.

The original location of the deport was about 200 yards north of its present location. The tracks to the west of the depot are now part of the Canadian Pacific Railroad (CP) system. In 2008 the CP purchased the rails from the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern railroad, which had purchased a portion of the C&NW system in 1986. The C&NW was merged into the Union Pacific Railroad in 1995 and ceased to exist as a separate entity.
 
Topics. This historical
Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 26, 2021
2. Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker (back)
marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 44° 21.431′ N, 100° 22.508′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Marker is at the intersection of Native American Scenic Byway (Highway 83) and East 4th Avenue on Native American Scenic Byway. The marker is located in the Fort Pierre Depot Museum parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 Native American Scenic Byway, Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fur Posts (within shouting distance of this marker); Casey Tibbs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Pierre (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Pierre (about 400 feet away); Lewis and Clark / Fort Pierre, South Dakota (about 400 feet away); Stanley County Courthouse Veteran's Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Verendrye Explorers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Translation of the Verendrye Plate (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Pierre Depot Museum. (Submitted on November 29, 2021, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
 
Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 26, 2021
3. Fort Pierre Train Depot Marker
Fort Pierre Depot Museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 26, 2021
4. Fort Pierre Depot Museum
Fort Pierre Depot Museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 26, 2021
5. Fort Pierre Depot Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2021, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2021, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187067

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024