Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albany in Dougherty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

City of Albany

1839-1841

 
 
City of Albany Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 5, 2021
1. City of Albany Marker
Inscription.  Albany was chartered in 1839 as a town and as a city in 1841.
 
Erected by City of Albany.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 31° 34.695′ N, 84° 9.092′ W. Marker is in Albany, Georgia, in Dougherty County. Marker is on North Washington Street just south of Pine Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is embedded in the sidewalk on the east side of the Dougherty County School System Administration building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Pine Avenue, Albany GA 31701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Albany Herald (within shouting distance of this marker); British Royal Air Force Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dougherty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Nelson Tift (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freedom Alley and City Hall (about 400 feet away); C.B. (Chevene Bowers) King
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); The Exchange Building (about 400 feet away); Albany Lights (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
More about this marker. Inscription is somewhat faded and difficult to read in bright daylight.
 
Also see . . .  Albany, Georgia History.
When the Indian Removal Act was enacted in the early 1830s, European-American settlers started to move in into the area, led by Nelson Tift. Tift and his colleagues named the new town after Albany, the state capital of New York, due to the similarities between the two towns or rather, their locations. It was also his hope that in the course of its development, his new town would be as successful as its counterpart in New York. Albany was officially incorporated in 1838.
(Submitted on December 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
City of Albany Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 5, 2021
2. City of Albany Marker
(looking southwest from North Washington Street • Dougherty County School System Administration building in background)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187081

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024