Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
1. First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs Marker
Inscription.  Organized in 1852, this church had eight members with Samuel Davidson as the ruling elder. A sanctuary erected jointly by this congregation and the Cumberland Presbyterians on Connally Street burned in 1873. The membership constructed a frame building at this site in July 1882. The Rev. J. C. Crow became the first resident pastor in 1886, and W. P. McDonald, clerk of the session, kept the first records in 1887. In 1890 Mrs. Lena Johnson began the Ladies Missionary Society. The present sanctuary was built in 1920, and an educational facility was added in 1981.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7308.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 33° 8.273′ N, 95° 35.948′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is on College Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 College Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hopkins County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); City National Bank (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs (about 800 feet away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association (approx. ¼ mile away); First Christian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
 
First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 20, 2021
2. First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187093

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024