Wichita Falls in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Organized June 21, 1882
Named for the Wichita Indians
who formerly resided here
County seat, Wichita Falls
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 5799.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1858.
Location. 33° 50.682′ N, 98° 29.527′ W. Marker is in Wichita Falls, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is on Old Jacksboro Highway (Loop State Highway 473) north of Rathgeber Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wichita Falls TX 76310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wichita County Water Improvement Districts No. 1 & No. 2 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Call Field (approx. 3.9 miles away); Spanish War Veterans Statue (approx. 4˝ miles away); The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896 (approx. 4.6 miles First County Officials (approx. 4.7 miles away); Texas Governor James V. Allred (approx. 4.7 miles away); Joseph Hudson Barwise (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Lost Battalion (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita Falls.
Also see . . . Wichita County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.