Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Burkburnett in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bridgetown

(Ghost Townsite, Located Near This Site, on Red River)

 
 
Bridgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2021
1. Bridgetown Marker
Inscription.  When the Northwest Extension of the Burkburnett oil field opened in 1919, prospectors thronged this area. Bridgetown sprang up at the Texas end of a mile-long Red River toll bridge built for oil field traffic. It became the largest and wealthiest of 12 communities that mushroomed in this area during rivalry among major oil companies and independent producers. Lease values rose from $10 to $20,000 an acre. A city of tents, shanties and a few substantial structures, Bridgetown had a long main street with a Mission church at one end and a saloon at the other. Its post office opened July 15, 1920. The population in the early 1920s was estimated at 3,500 to 10,000. Litigation over riverbed oil rights caused the U.S. Supreme Court to station a receiver in the town. He was Frederick A. Delano, uncle of future president Franklin D. Roosevelt. With aid from Texas Rangers, Delano and other leaders invoked law and order.

In a few years oil yields diminished, and the jail, theaters, dance halls, and gambling houses vanished. By 1929 only 100 inhabitants remained. By 1931 the bridge was down. The post office closed in 1935. Afterward the site
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the makeshift oil "capital" reverted to range and agricultural uses.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 509.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 15, 1920.
 
Location. 34° 5.801′ N, 98° 40.445′ W. Marker is near Burkburnett, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 240 and Bridgetown Road, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 240. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burkburnett TX 76354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Receiver Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ghost Town of Clara (approx. 1.4 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Clara Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thrift (approx. 2˝ miles away); Northwest Extension Oilfield (approx. 2˝ miles away); Burnett Horse Ranch (approx. 3˝ miles away); Tenth Cavalry Creek (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burkburnett.
 
Also see . . .  Bridgetown, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Bridgetown Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 23, 2021
2. Bridgetown Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187183

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024