Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
From this vantage point, a succession of early residents watched Harpers Ferry grow from a tiny village into a thriving industrial community.
In 1775, town founder Robert Harper chose this hillside for his family home because it lay safely above the flood line, commanded a spectacular view, and offered unlimited native stone for building. Harper never resided here, however, because he died before the building's completion.
The Harper House is the oldest surviving structure in Harpers Ferry. Now restored as an 1850's tenant house, it represents crowded conditions and lack of housing here during the town's industrial heyday.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 39° 19.378′ N, 77° 43.851′ W. Marker was in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker was on Church Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the Lower Town section of Harpers Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Harper House: The Mansion on the Hill (here, next to this marker); Harper House Tavern (here, next to this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars (here, next to this marker); Welcome to St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Trail to Upper Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker); "A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step." (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweets for Harpers Ferry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced by the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 923 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.