Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McDade in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

McDade Baptist Church

 
 
McDade Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 5, 2021
1. McDade Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was organized on July 18, 1880, under the leadership of the Rev. J. D. Wright, who also served as first pastor. Originally known as the McDade Baptist Church of Christ, the fellowship worshiped in a union church building shared with other denominations. In 1900, the Baptists purchased the Union Building from the other congregations, and it served as the church's sanctuary until 1948, when an army chapel, purchased from nearby Camp Swift, was moved to this site. With an emphasis on worship and education, the McDade Baptist Church has been a strong part of the community's cultural and religious history.
 
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12936.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1880.
 
Location. 30° 17.241′ N, 97° 14.269′ W. Marker is in McDade, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is at the intersection of El Paso Street and Bastrop Street, on the right when traveling north on El Paso Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 El Paso St, Mc Dade TX 78650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capt. Jesse Billingsley (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock Front Saloon, 1870 (about 700 feet away); McDade (approx. 0.6 miles away); Three Oaks (Goerlitz) Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Siloah Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); John Herron (approx. 3 miles away); Knobbs Springs Baptist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Rural Farms and Communities Before Camp Swift (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McDade.
 
McDade Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 5, 2021
2. McDade Baptist Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187570

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024