Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dwight in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Windmill

Welcome to Dwight

 
 
The Windmill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2021
1. The Windmill Marker
Inscription.  The Windmill is located on what was formerly the Oughton Estate. It was built in 1896 to supply water to the Oughton Estate. In 1977 the Ohlendorf family replaced the head with a new one shipped from South America. This head was again repaired in 2003 and the Windmill and surrounding pond and grounds were restored. In 2003 this landmark was given to the Village of Dwight by the Mike Hogan Family. To the east of the Windmill is the Prairie Creek District Library. It was the Oughton Carriage House and later a recreation building for the Keeley Co. It was completely remodeled inside to utilize both floors for the Library. Just to the north of the Windmill is the Country Mansion Restaurant and Garden Room. A smaller version of the Mansion was called the Scott House and was located one block NE. It was elaborately renovated in 1895 by architect Julian Barnes to become the residence of John R. Oughton. In 1976 the Ohlendorf family purchased the building, remodeled it and in 2000 added The Garden Room banquet facility. Just north of the Mansion is the Keeley Building which now houses Professional Office space. It started as a residence in 1890’s, John
The Windmill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2021
2. The Windmill Marker
(looking southwest • windmill in background)
Click or scan to see
this page online
R. Oughton built it for his Mother-in-law Mrs. Bennett. In 1920 it was remodeled into an administration building of the Keeley institute.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 41° 5.374′ N, 88° 25.706′ W. Marker is in Dwight, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker can be reached from Carriage House Lane, 0.1 miles south of East South Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is at the southwest corner of the Prairie Creek Public Library parking lot, overlooking the windmill, which is behind the library and about 50 yards southwest of the marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Carriage House Lane, Dwight IL 60420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Well Connected Village (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. Ό mile away); 1879-1979 (approx. Ό mile away); Pioneer Gothic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mom and Pop Motels (approx. 0.6 miles away); Welcome to Dwight (approx. 0.7 miles away); Full Service on Rte 66 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dwight, Illinois (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dwight.
 
Regarding The Windmill. Contributing building, John R. Oughton Estate, National Register of Historic Places #80001383.
 
Also see . . .
The Windmill image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2021
3. The Windmill
(looking east • Prairie Creek Public Library in background)

1. The Oughton Estate Windmill.
The windmill is a prominent landmark on the John Oughton estate property. The 5-story, eight-sided, steel-framed windmill was built in 1896 to help pump water for the Oughton estate, which included the buildings that now house Country Mansion Restaurant and the Public Library.
(Submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. John R. Oughton Windmill.
The windmill was originally called the Pumping Tower and was constructed by U.S. Wind, Engine and Pump Company of Batavia, Illinois. The windmill, which provided a water system for the Oughton Estate, has an 840 ft. deep well. The original windmill featured an 88-barrel cypress tank at its top and the windmill head, 16 feet across, was one of the largest in the United States at the time of its construction in 1896.
(Submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. The Windmill in Dwight, IL.
The Windmill has stood above the skyline of Dwight for over 110 years. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 23, 1980.
(Submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
The Windmill Head image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 24, 2021
4. The Windmill Head
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187600

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022