Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Steep Hollow Cemetery

 
 
Steep Hollow Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 7, 2021
1. Steep Hollow Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  This burial ground was part of the Steep Hollow community, named for the valley of the Steep Hollow Branch, a tributary of Wickson Creek. Residents were ranchers and farmers, and the community had a general store, cotton gin, gristmill and schoolhouse. Saints Rest Baptist Church (later Steep Hollow Baptist Church), organized in 1873, was associated with the cemetery, which first served as a private family burial ground. In 1874, Charles and Evaline Peters conveyed property for the cemetery and surrounding land to the church.

The earliest interments were those of James Peters (d. 1870), son of Charles and Evaline, and Robert Martin (d. 1871), son of Sarah Ann (Cheshire) and Rev. Samuel Crawford Martin (d. 1902), the first pastor of Saints Rest Baptist Church. The Martins are also buried here with four other ministers of the church. Other burials include teachers, businessmen, farmers, ranchers and veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War. The cemetery is located in a naturalistic setting and features curbing, interior fencing, vertical stones, obelisks, and Woodmen of the World grave markers.

In its early
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
years, family members cared for the grounds. By 1926, the Steep Hollow Cemetery Association (SHCA) had formed to maintain the cemetery. In 1966, the church officially transferred ownership of the burial ground to the SHCA. Today, Steep Hollow Cemetery continues to serve the area and persists as a reminder of the pioneering men and women whose hard work and sacrifice contributed to the establishment of the steep hollow community.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15691.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 30° 41.728′ N, 96° 17.423′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1179 and Steep Hollow Road, on the right when traveling north on Highway 1179. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7231 Steep Hollow Rd, Bryan TX 77808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richardson Perry Cenotaph (here, next to this marker); Wesa Weddington (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Old Boonville School Play Yard (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Twin Sisters (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of the Town of Boonville (approx.
Steep Hollow Cemetery Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, December 7, 2021
2. Steep Hollow Cemetery Marker Area
2.9 miles away); Stagecoach Travel (approx. 2.9 miles away); Men of Vision (approx. 2.9 miles away); Brazos County Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2021, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=187735

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024