Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, on May 5, 1813, Colonel
Dudley's troops spiked the
British artillery besieging
Fort Meigs; but, in the en-
thusiasm of victory they
were led into an ambush
where over 600 were lost.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C27.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. 41° 34.013′ N, 83° 38.735′ W. Marker is in Maumee, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on River Road 0.1 miles north of East John Street, on the right when traveling south. This historical marker is located in front of the Maumee branch of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, on the River Road side of the library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maumee OH 43537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Plantation (approx. House of Four Pillars (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Wolcott House (approx. half a mile away); Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); History Happened Here (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. 0.9 miles away); Perrysburg / Perrysburg Plat Map (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maumee.
More about this marker. The events described on this marker, that took place at this location, on May 5, 1813, are part of a series of events that are described in a series of related markers. The pre-massacre events would involve information described on historical markers to the south, at Maumee's First Presbyterian Church and at Perrysburg's Fort Meigs. The post-massacre events would involve information described on the historical marker located to the north, at Maumee's Fort Miamis Park.
Regarding Dudley's Massacre. In his book "History of the Maumee River Basin" (copyright 1905), Charles E. Slocum writes the following concerning Dudley's Massacre: "That night about eleven o'clock General Harrison's anxiety regarding reinforcements was largely relieved by the return of Captain Oliver accompanied by Major David Trimble and fifteen soldiers who had evaded the savages, to report that General Green Clay's command, eleven hundred in number in eighteen large flatboats with high sides to protect the soldiers from the bullets of the savages they might meet, were tied on the left bank of the Maumee at the head of the Grand Rapids, the river being so high that the pilot
"It was some time after daylight before the oncoming boats arrived at Hamilton's station about five miles above the Fort. Colonel William Dudley was in the first boat and General Clay in the thirteenth from the front. When the orders were delivered to him General Clay ordered Colonel Dudley as the senior Colonel to assail the batteries as directed by General Harrison, with the men in the first twelve boats; while he, with the others, would go forward to the Fort."
"Colonel Dudley landed with eight hundred and sixty-six men - his regiment numbering seven hundred and sixty-one and, in addition there were sixty of Colonel William E. Boswell's regiment and forty-five United States troops. Only one hundred and seventy escaped to Fort Meigs. Many were killed, including Colonel Dudley, in the fierce contest that continued about three hours. Many others were wounded, scalped and stripped of clothing by the savages. Those who could walk were taken prisoners by the British and were started for the ruins of Fort Miami
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on August 31, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing.
Of the 20 some original markers that have been included in the historical marker database only a small number of them have the original art work, sometimes referred to as silhouettes, across the top of the historical marker. This is a feature that makes these markers quite unique from most other historical markers. This "Dudley's Massacre" marker is one of those very few markers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,243 times since then and 183 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on August 31, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on June 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9, 10. submitted on September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.