Richland Center in Richland County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Birthplace of GTE
Officially founded in 1918 when John F. O’Connell and Sigurd L. Odegard purchased the Richland Center Telephone Company, the firm today called GTE grew rapidly and has telephone operations in 31 states. Designated Commonwealth Telephone in 1920 and Associated Telephone Utilities in 1926, the company became General Telephone Corporation in 1935.
The name General Telephone & Electronics was adopted in 1958 to more accurately reflect corporate diversification.
Erected 1980 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 261.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. 43° 20.581′ N, 90° 23.354′ W. Marker is in Richland Center, Wisconsin, in Richland CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 460 West 6th Street, Richland Center WI 53581, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ada James (a few steps from this marker); Krouskop Park (a few steps from this marker); Wisconsin Purple Heart Memorial Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Boaz Mastodon (approx. 5.8 miles away); Rural Electrification (approx. 5.8 miles away); Richard M. Brewer (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ocooch Mountains (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Little Rock (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richland Center.
Also see . . . GTE History from Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 11, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,320 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.