Fort Jennings in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Anthony Wayne Parkway
On Sept. 21, 1812, Col. William Jennings, with his regiment of Kentucky riflemen, was ordered by Gen. W. H. Harrison to cut a road from Fort Barbee at St. Marys to a point midway between that place and Defiance, and there establish a fort. The post was completed on this site in October, 1812, and named in honor of its builder.
The road begun by Col. Jennings was later extended to Fort Winchester by Col. Poague, builder of Fort Amanda. The Auglaize River Valley then became a major supply artery for Harrison's army, operating to the Northwest. By boat and wagon in the summer and by sled in winter, troops and large quantities of army stores were moved through here to the scenes of the major actions.
The town of Ft. Jennings was founded in 1847.
[Text on Reverse Side]:
In the Northwest
On June 18, 1812, a war began which is considered to be the final phase of the American Revolution. In the Northwest, early actions were disastrous to
In the spring and summer of 1813, the enemy failed in two attempts to take Fort Meigs, General Harrison's bastion on the Maumee. The tide turned in favor of the Americans. In August, Major Croghan made his staunch stand at Fort Stephenson (Fremont), and, in September, Commodore Perry swept the British fleet from the lakes in the Battle of Lake Erie near Put-In-Bay. General Harrison then invaded Canada and on October 5th won a decisive victory in the Battle of the Thames. Tecumseh was killed in this battle and the war, to all intents, was over in the Northwest.
Erected 1955 by Jennings Township Trustees.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military • War of 1812. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1812.
Location. 40° 54.299′ N, 84° 17.778′ W. Marker is in Fort Jennings, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker is on North Water Street (Ohio Route 190) south of 4th Street, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 North Water Street, Fort Jennings OH 45844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 3 miles away); B-26B Bomber Crash (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also named Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 4.1 miles away); Delphos / Miami Erie Canal (approx. 4.6 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. 4.6 miles away); Delphos Korea War Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Since originally viewing this historical marker on May 3, 2009, the historical marker has been repainted and relocated. Although the historical marker is still located in front of the Jennings Township House, it has been moved from the north end of the front yard to the south end of the front yard.
Regarding Fort Jennings. Charles E. Slocum states the following in his book, History of the Maumee River Basin (copyright 1905): "There had arrived at St. Marys up to this time, of Kentucky troops, Colonel Joshua Barbee's regiment which was ordered to build there a fortification and stockade as a storehouse and protection for supplies, which was named Fort Barbee; Colonel Robert Rogers' regiment, and Colonel William Jennings' regiment of riflemen; also, of Ohio men, a corps of cavalry commanded by Colonel Findlay. The cavalry was ordered to burn the Ottawa towns by the Blanchard
Also see . . . Fort Jennings Bicentennial. Information on the Fort Jennings 1812 Bicentennial (Submitted on November 21, 2011, by Julia Wiley of Fort Jennings, Ohio.)
1. Fort Jennings 1812 Bicentennial Celebration
Fort Jennings will celebrate its Bicentennial on August 17-19, 2012 with an interactive and hands-on re-enactment of life in 1812 in the Village Park, complete with a "village" of crafters and artisans and a salute to the military through the last 200 years in the Village proper. There will be activities for all ages, and opportunities to do things "the old-fashioned way" - by hand. There will be a dedication of an Unknown Soldier monument as a part of the celebration, to honor the 12 soldiers who were buried just outside the Fort.There is a monument at the site of the fort which is not pictured on this page. The Jennings Memorial Hall, which is pictured on this page, was recently saved from demolition by a handful of volunteers and it is being restored to its former glory in time for re-dedication at
— Submitted November 9, 2011, by Julia Wiley of Fort Jennings, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,889 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on January 6, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.