Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Butcher Shop and Boarding House
When the U.S. purchased the buildings in 1863, the boarding house became workers' housing, while Coons continued to lease the butcher shop.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 39° 19.3′ N, 77° 43.91′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340), on the right when traveling east. Located in lower town of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site, just south of the Winchester and Potomac Railroad. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Government Factory Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Workers (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualties of TimeA Government Factory Town No Longer (about 400 feet away); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (about 400 feet away); Floods (about 400 feet away); St. John's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Welcome to St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. Above the text is An 1864 view of the boarding house lot and the armory workers' houses from Jefferson Rock. Union troop transports crowd the railroad in front of the main structure.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 908 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.