Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Jonesboro The First Day
Aug. 31, 1864. This immediate area was occupied by the Army of the Tenn. [US], commanded by Gen. O. O. Howard. These troops, Logan’s 15th, Ransom’s 16th & Blair’s 17th corps, marched to this position from Fairburn the previous day; the 15th & 17th cast up intrenched lines on this side of Flint river, the 16th, W. of it.
S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS], moving from lines W. of the town, attacked 15th & 17th A. C. fronts while Hardee’s corps assailed the refused flank of the 15th & part of the 16th (which had been shifted E. of the river) -- a drawn battle that awaited final conclusion until the next day.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-26.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 31, 1794.
Location. 33° 31.957′ N, 84° 21.991′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Avenue (Georgia Route 138) and Hynds Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battlefield Landmark (approx. half a mile away); The Warren House (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named The Warren House (approx. ¾ mile away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. ¾ mile away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Battle of Jonesboro by Markers
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,902 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.