Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Forty Fort in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Forty Fort

 
 
Forty Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Beatty, May 11, 2009
1. Forty Fort Marker
Inscription.  Named for the forty Connecticut settlers of 1769. Begun in 1770. The Wyoming Massacre followed its surrender to Maj. Butler's force of British, Tories, and Indians, July 4, 1779.
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1976.
 
Location. 41° 17.114′ N, 75° 52.39′ W. Marker is in Forty Fort, Pennsylvania, in Luzerne County. Marker is on Wyoming Avenue near River Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston PA 18704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); James Bird (within shouting distance of this marker); Forty Fort Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyoming Seminary Presidents' Lost Graves Memorial (about 400 feet away); Forty Fort Cemetery Lost Graves Memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); The Fort in Forty Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); What on Earth is a Levee? (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trailing Along (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forty Fort.
 
Forty Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Beatty, May 11, 2009
2. Forty Fort Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2009, by Michael Beatty of Hanover Township, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,052 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2009, by Michael Beatty of Hanover Township, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18850

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024