Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waring in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Waring Schoolhouse

 
 
Waring Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 16, 2021
1. Waring Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.  Anglo pioneers in a predominantly German-settled area built the west wing of this building in 1891. Land for this first public school was given by Robert Percival Maxwell Waring, a native of Ireland for whom the town had been named in 1888, citizens volunteered labor, funds, and materials for the building, and paid their children's tuition of $1 to $1.50 per month. The east wing was added in 1903, and exterior braces were applied in the 1930s. The school closed in 1954.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5719.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 29° 57.166′ N, 98° 48.276′ W. Marker is in Waring, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E and Manning Road, on the left when traveling east on Avenue E. The marker is located on the front wall of the school building left of the front door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Avenue E, Waring TX 78074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brownsboro Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Brownsboro Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Brownsboro Community (approx. 2.3 miles away); History of the Railroad (approx. 2.3 miles away); A Recovering Prairie (approx. 2.3 miles away); James Kiehl River Bend Park (approx. 2.3 miles away); History of the Kendall County Park System (approx. 2.3 miles away); Army Spc. James M. Kiehl Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Waring, TX.
Waring is on the banks of the Guadalupe River, seven miles downstream from Comfort and twelve miles north of Boerne in Kendall County. It was founded in 1887 and originally known as Waringford, when R. P. M. Waring, a native of Waringford, Ireland, provided a right-of-way for the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway for its Kerrville line. In 1888 the post office from Windsor, a neighboring community, was moved across the Guadalupe River to Waringford. On February 10, 1901, the town's name was shortened to Waring.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on December 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The entrance to the Waring Schoolhouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 16, 2021
2. The entrance to the Waring Schoolhouse and Marker
The view of the Waring Schoolhouse from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 16, 2021
3. The view of the Waring Schoolhouse from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=188512

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024