Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Sulphur Springs in Meagher County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Wellman Block

 
 
Wellman Block Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 17, 2021
1. Wellman Block Marker
Inscription.  The local hot springs had been a business enterprise for almost a decade when in 1880 brothers William H. and Robert N. Sutherlin moved their newspaper, the Rocky Mountain Husbandman, from the waning gold camp at Diamond City to the promising town of White Sulphur Springs. The brothers purchased property from Dr. William Parberry, built this combination business and residential block as an investment, and the commercial district quickly grew around it. Soon the town boasted daily stages to Helena, two doctors, a school, and some twenty businesses. James MacDonald set up a harness shop and saddlery here, purchasing the building in 1884 for eight hundred dollars. After the turn of the twentieth century, harness maker William Wellman continued the leather business, buying the building in 1907. Wellman, a longtime resident who settled here in the mid 1880s, remodeled the building’s façade in 1911 after a disastrous downtown fire. A fashionable pressed metal cornice with nameplate and spacious display windows added new vitality to the town landmark. In 1936, Robert Gordon, son of African-American parents who settled here in the 1880s, inherited the
Wellman Block and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 17, 2021
2. Wellman Block and Marker
The marker is in the left window.
Click or scan to see
this page online
building. Robert’s brother, noted gospel singer and author Immanuel “Taylor” Gordon, operated an antique store and managed the second-floor apartments. Between 1938 and 1954 the building also housed the local post office. Now returned to its former use as a saddlery and beautifully refurbished, the Wellman Block, with its arched windows and decorative false front, is a stylish example of small-town Western Commercial architecture.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 46° 33.02′ N, 110° 54.425′ W. Marker is in White Sulphur Springs, Montana, in Meagher County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 89) and 2nd Avenue Northeast, on the left when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 East Main Street, White Sulphur Springs MT 59645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Logan (approx. ¼ mile away); The Smith River Valley (approx. 7.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=188858

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 28, 2023