Near Carson in Prince George County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Prince George County / Sussex County
Prince George County. Area 294 Square Miles. Formed in 1702 from Charles City, and named for Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne. The battles of the crater, 1864, and Fort Steadman, 1865, took place in this county.
Sussex County. Area 515 Square Miles. Formed in 1753 from Surry, and named for an English county. Cornwallis passed through this county in 1781.
Erected 1931 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-236.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1702.
Location. 36° 59.759′ N, 77° 23.568′ W. Marker is near Carson, Virginia, in Prince George County. Marker is on South Crater Road (U.S. 301) half a mile south of Johns Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stony Creek VA 23882, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reams StationHistory At Stony Creek (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sappony Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sappony Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Prince George County / Sussex County (approx. 5½ miles away); Sussex County / Dinwiddie County (approx. 6½ miles away); Nottoway River Crossings (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Battle of Reams Station (approx. 7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Prince George County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010.)
2. Sussex County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.