Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gloversville in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The History of Gloversville Little League

 
 
The History of Gloversville Little League Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, December 29, 2021
1. The History of Gloversville Little League Marker
Inscription.  Little League® Baseball and Softball in Gloversville was the brainchild of local businessmen James Del Negro & John Kline back in 1954. At that time, Little League® Baseball was only 15 years old and had approximately 300 chartered leagues across the United States. Del Negro & Kline received the backing of the Gloversville Rotary Club who promised to sponsor teams in a league the following spring. Rotary member Joseph Giblin was named chairman of the initiative and was assisted by fellow members Lawrence Getman, Del Negro & Kline. Their first task was to secure Gloversville's first Little League® Baseball Charter. They then received permission from Richard Parkhurst, owner of the Parkhurst Field grounds that once housed the A., J. & G professional baseball team on Harrison Street, to utilize the property for games. The group then solicited the help of the Gloversville War Veteran's to help run the league. This group of determined volunteers then readied the historic baseball grounds that once featured many greats of the early days of Professional Baseball such as Honus Wagner, Cy Young and Moonlight Doc Graham at the turn of the 20th Century.

The
Parkhurst Field image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, December 29, 2021
2. Parkhurst Field
Home of Baseball since 1906.
Click or scan to see
this page online
league began with one field (eventually named Frank Trippoda Field) and one division (Majors) that allowed players ages 9-12 and consisted of six teams. Official play began play on June 6, 1955 and featured games that day between the Gloversville Rotary Club vs. Rulison's Leather, and the Catholic War Veterans vs. Decca Records. The league was rounded out by two other teams sponsored by the Del Negro-Kline Pharmacy & Peter's Oil. As interest in the league grew, a second field (later named Michael DiMarco Field) and a Minors Division was created to allow players ages 7-11 to play. A concession stand (later named the William Kratky Clubhouse) was built by local construction contractor William Kratky and volunteers in 1961. Expansion continued in 1969 when the Senior Division for players ages 13-15 was created along with a third field (later named Phil Ruggeri Field). The 1975 season welcomed girls being allowed to play in the league. The 1980's brought the addition of a Tee Ball Division for players ages 4-7 and a fourth field (later James Lauria Field). In 1992, a Girls Softball Field (later named John Callahan Field) was built and brought the addition of a Girls Softball Division for Girls ages 9-12. The funding for this project was part of a major capital campaign to raise funds to purchase the Parkhurst Field Facility from the Parkhurst Family. This historic transaction led
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
to the Gloversville Little League becoming one of the few Upstate NY Youth Sports Organizations that independently owns the facility that it plays on. In the 1990's, the league grew again with the addition of an Intermediate Division for players aged 6-8 and a sixth field (later named Joe Roucco Field). A Challenger Division was added to the league in 2011 that caters to children ages 4-21 with emotional and physical disabilities and was the only such division of its kind in Fulton & Montgomery Counties. A seventh field was added to the facility in 2012 in the form of a second Tee Ball Field (later named John Walrath Field) to accommodate both Tee Ball and Challenger Games. In 2013, a new 50/70 Division was added to the program for 13 year olds. This was a modification of the original Senior Division that moved the pitching rubber to 50' and the base lines to 70'. In 2013, the Parkhurst Field Museum was created to tell the story of the history of the facility dating back to 1906 when it first opened as the home park for the A., J. & G's in the New York State Professional Baseball League. The museum also chronicles the early days of the Gloversville Little League on the grounds up through its 65+ years of hosting instruction & competition for area youth.
 
Erected by Gloversville Little League.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
this topic list: Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1954.
 
Location. 43° 1.896′ N, 74° 21.26′ W. Marker is in Gloversville, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrison Street and Industrial Parkway, on the right when traveling south on Harrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gloversville NY 12078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A. J. & G. Park (a few steps from this marker); Parkhurst Field (within shouting distance of this marker); May 22, 1780 (approx. 1.3 miles away); FJ&G Headquarters (approx. 1.4 miles away); Trail Station Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Battle In American Revolution (approx. 1˝ miles away); War of 1812 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle Field (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloversville.
 
Also see . . .  Gloversville Little League. (Submitted on January 5, 2022, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=189216

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jan. 31, 2023