Near Skinquarter in Amelia County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Amelia County / Chesterfield County
Area 371 Square Miles
Formed in 1734 from Prince George and Brunswick, and named for Princess Amelia, daughter of King George II. William B. Giles, Governor of Virginia 1827-30, lived in this county.
Area 468 Square Miles
Formed in 1748 from Henrico, and named for the Earl of Chesterfield, noted courtier. The first iron furnace in America, 1619, was in this county. The battle of Drewry's Bluff, 1864, took place here.
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-47.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1734.
Location. 37° 21.303′ N, 77° 50.986′ W. Marker is near Skinquarter, Virginia, in Amelia County. Marker is on Hull Street Road 1.6 miles west of Sappony Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moseley VA 23120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goode's Bridge (a Skinquarter Baptist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); William Ransom Johnson (approx. 6 miles away); Eppington (approx. 6.8 miles away); Lamkin’s Battery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Amelia Court House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Marion Harland (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mrs. Samantha Jane Neil (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Official Site of Amelia County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Amelia, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
3. Chesterfield County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.