Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hardin in Big Horn County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Schneider Harness and Confectionary

Hardin Commercial Historic District

 
 
Schneider Harness and Confectionary Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 19, 2021
1. Schneider Harness and Confectionary Marker
Inscription.  Charles and Rushann Schneider built this two-story brick business block in 1910. Anticipating the arrival of electricity by four years, the Schneiders had their building wired during its construction. The exterior’s relative simplicity reflects the styles of the day. Simple brick bands adorn the building’s façade, whose main decoration is a denticulated cornice. (The term “denticulated” comes from the Latin word dentil, meaning teeth.) In 1910, the Schneiders lived upstairs. The first floor housed both Charles’ harness shop and Rushann’s confectionery. The popular Hardin couple celebrated their tenth wedding anniversary in 1913 by inviting all their friends to the store for refreshments. The confectionery, which boasted a soda fountain, proved the more successful and longer lasting of the two businesses. In 1918, only four years after expanding the building, Charles closed his harness shop to help Rushann with the confectionery. Perhaps the growing popularity of tractors and automobiles influenced his decision. Charles died in 1945. The next year, Rushann moved to her daughter’s home in Forsyth, closing the successful thirty-six-year business.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 45° 43.843′ N, 107° 36.364′ W. Marker is in Hardin, Montana, in Big Horn County. Marker is on North Central Avenue near Second Street West, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 North Central, Hardin MT 59034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Reid's Pool Hall (a few steps from this marker); Hotel Becker (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardin Commercial Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Burlington Northern Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); T.E. Gay Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montana's 1964 Territorial Centennial Train (about 300 feet away); Lee Building (about 600 feet away); Big Horn County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hardin.
 
Schneider Harness and Confectionary and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 19, 2021
2. Schneider Harness and Confectionary and Marker
The marker is in the window to the left of the recessed door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2022, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=189363

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024