Grantsville in Calhoun County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
In 1883, A. H. "Dick" Stump (who would later become Grantsville's first Mayor) and his wife, Druscilla Ball Stump, built a house, a block from the Courthouse, on Main Street.
The Stumps tuned their home into a hotel by 1885, and in 1897, constructed a two-story, 10-12 room addition on the back, giving the hotel an "L" shaped look.
This expansion was necessitated by an increase in population and economic activity in Grantsville, including timbering, oil and gas exploration, the Cabot Carbon Black Factory (largest in the world at the time), and a booming gas boat building industry. Grantsville was a commercial hub in the Little Kanawha Valley.
Following the deaths of Dick and Druscilla, Miss Nettie Stump, their daughter, operated the hotel until 1919. Nettie decided to "take down her sign" and the hotel reverted to a private residence.
In the 1930's, the addition was detached, moved to the back of the lot, and turned to face Mill Street where it began a new life as a boarding house. This structure was dismantled in the late 1950's.
In the years following World War
Eventually the building fell into disuse.
In 1999, through the efforts of Congressman Alan Mollohan and the Vandalia Heritage Foundation, the hotel, the adjacent Quality Shop, and the back of those two properties to Mill Street, were acquired by the Calhoun County Historical Society from Dr. Charles Albert Stump, great-grandson of Dick and Druscilla, to provide the county with a museum.
The first phase was to stabilize and preserve the hotel exterior, including: removing the post-World War II remodeling, putting on a new roof, porch, and siding, and doing foundation work.
In 2015, the Society began the process of restoring the hotel interior, beginning with the kitchen, dining room, and lobby. Society members discovered layers of original wallpaper, 1890's newspapers, muslin wall covering, "smudging" of the downstairs ceilings, and wall boards as wide as 15 inches.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 38° 55.455′ N, 81° 5.702′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, West Virginia, in Calhoun County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 Main St, Grantsville WV 26147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grantsville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memoriam CSM Clovis Drexell Ice (about 300 feet away); Calhoun County Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Honoring E. Dean Starcher (approx. 3.8 miles away); First County Court (approx. 5.1 miles away); Jobs Temple (approx. 7.2 miles away); a different marker also named Job's Temple (approx. 7.2 miles away); Gilmer County / Calhoun County (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grantsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2022, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.