Clarksville in Red River County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church Clarksville
Clarksville's first Presbyterian Church has occupied this site on the banks of the Delaware since 1858-1859. The church was organized by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which established many congregations during the western expansion of the United States. This congregation in Red River County was founded in 1833-1834 and is considered to be the oldest Protestant congregation with continuous service in the State of Texas.
Three church buildings have occupied this historic ground; the first sanctuary was built in 1858-1859; the second sanctuary was built in 1899 and burned shortly afterward in 1904; and the present edifice was erected in 1905.
In 1867 a committee was appointed in a meeting on this site, which eventfully led to the formation of Trinity University in 1869 one of Texas oldest church-related colleges.
The First Presbyterian Church cherished its life in Clarksville, Red River County, and Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Pecan Street, Clarksville TX 75426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rev. William Stevenson (about 600 feet away); Members of Confederate Congresses (about 700 feet away); Five Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Red River County (about 700 feet away); James Clark (about 700 feet away); Clarksville Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Red River County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Page's Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 53 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 9, 2022, by Jason Armstrong of Talihina, Oklahoma. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?