Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harlan in Shelby County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

T.R. Westrope Block

Erected 1902

— 601 Court Street —

 
 
T.R. Westrope Block Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
1. T.R. Westrope Block Marker
Inscription.  
This building originally
housed the Gibb’s Store,
followed by Lemke’s Daylight
Store and the Golden Rule.

Listed in the National Register
of Historic Places

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 41° 39.456′ N, 95° 19.076′ W. Marker is in Harlan, Iowa, in Shelby County. Marker is on Court Street just west of 6th Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, on the right/west corner of the front façade. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Court Street, Harlan IA 51537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baughn Building (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Weber Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Koolbeck Building (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Baughn Building (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); Donnan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers & Merchants Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harlan.
 
Regarding T.R. Westrope Block. Contributing property, Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District, National Register of Historic Places #94001099.
From the NRHP nomination: This two-story brick block mirrors the Shelby County Bank Building, which is directly across the square, in its tripartite side façade and Romanesque stylistic influence shown in the round-arched windows and stone trim. The Westrope Block departs from that style, however, in the Neoclassical elements of the façade that include pediments and classical columns and entablature. It is the only surviving Neoclassical-influenced building around the square. The second-floor interior has four apartments, with the north (front) apartment retaining the original woodwork with egg-and-dart molding, doors, and transoms. This building was begun by T.R. Westrope, who died while the building was under construction. The building
T.R. Westrope Storefront image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
2. T.R. Westrope Storefront
(marker is mounted at right/west corner)
was completed by his heirs, with the store first leased to L.W. Foster and Company, who operated the Gibbs' Store. A dry goods store operated in this building from 1902-1986 and was known as Lemke's Daylight Store (c.1910) and the Golden Rule Store from the 1930s-1986. A doctor's and dentist's offices once occupied the front portion of the second floor.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District
 
Also see . . .  Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District. The historic district covers most of the city's central business district in the original town plat. Most of the buildings are two-story, brick commercial buildings. Commercial Italianate and Queen Anne styles are dominant. (Submitted on January 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
T.R. Westrope Block image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
3. T.R. Westrope Block
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190096

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024