Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harlan in Shelby County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Stutsman Building

Erected 1901

— 1013-1017 7th Street —

 
 
Stutsman Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
1. Stutsman Building Marker
Inscription.  
Historically this building
housed a barber shop,
restaurants, confectionery,
theatre, and numerous
grocery and retail stores.

Listed in the National Register
of Historic Places

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 41° 39.481′ N, 95° 19.142′ W. Marker is in Harlan, Iowa, in Shelby County. Marker is on 7th Street south of Market Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, near the center of the front façade. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1017 7th Street, Harlan IA 51537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Long's Block (here, next to this marker); Harlan Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lamb Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker); a different marker also named Long's Block (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Long's Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lamm Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harlan.
 
Regarding Stutsman Building. Contributing property, Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District, National Register of Historic Places #94001099.
From the NRHP nomination: This large, two-story brick block has a strong tripartite façade demarcated by brick pilasters and groupings of windows. This was further emphasized originally by a stepped parapet and is similar to other tripartite buildings around the square including the Courthouse. The south unit historically housed a barber shop (1909-1920s) and the Harmony Café (1940s). The center unit historically housed Heise's restaurant and confectionery (1909-1920s+) and was later opened up to join the north store. The expanded store has housed the Marqueson Grocery (prior to 1926), Woolsey Variety (1926+), IGA Grocery (1940s), and Gambles Department Store (1950s-1960s). An MWA Hall occupied the second floor over this unit c.1909.
Stutsman Building South Unit Storefront & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
2. Stutsman Building South Unit Storefront & Marker
Reportedly, the Majestic Theater was housed in the Stutsman Block c.1909, but its location within the building is not known. The north unit housed a millinery (1909-1918+) and was later joined with the center store to house the Marqueson Grocery, Woolsey Variety, IGA Grocery, and Gambles Department Store.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District
 
Also see . . .  Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District. The historic district covers most of the city's central business district in the original town plat. Most of the buildings are two-story, brick commercial buildings. Commercial Italianate and Queen Anne styles are dominant. (Submitted on January 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Stutsman Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 30, 2021
3. Stutsman Building
(marker is mounted on left/south column, between window and bench)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190099

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024