Harlan in Shelby County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
— 624 Market Street —
James M. Long who platted
Long’s Addition. The west
unit housed Gibb’s General
Listed in the National Register
of Historic Places
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 41° 39.521′ N, 95° 19.129′ W. Marker is in Harlan, Iowa, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, on the left/west corner of the front façade. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 624 Market Street, Harlan IA 51537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Long's Block (a few steps from this marker); Lamm Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheeler Block (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wheeler Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Lamb Building Tinsley Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Harlan Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Beh Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harlan.
Regarding Long's Block. Contributing property, Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District, National Register of Historic Places #94001099.
From the NRHP nomination: This two-story block was constructed of brick shipped in from Avoca, Iowa. Architectural details include the wooden cornice and brackets and the round-arched window surrounds with keystones. The architectural influence is Italianate. The block was built for James M. Long, who platted Long's Addition of which the Courthouse Square District is a part and who was responsible for the construction of many of the major commercial and early public buildings in Harlan. This block comprises three store units. This west unit historically housed Gibb's General Store (1876-1890s) and Nielson's Jewelry (1913- c.1917), followed in later years by the A & P grocery and an ice cream store. The upper floor housed a land office and, later,
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Harlan Courthouse Square Commercial District
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.