Indianola in Warren County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
118 West Ashland
Small businesses didn't typically make a lot of press, and the Hyde Food Service was no exception when it opened in March of 1937. However it played a significant role in Indianola history. Hyde's stayed here for only thirteen months before moving to 126 North Howard, but during its brief tenure here it was one of the original 15 stores to open an incorporation on January 3, 1938 — a partnership of co-founders Charles Hyde & David Vredenburg more popularly known today as Hy-Vee.
After Hyde's relocated the storefront became a barber shop/beauty salon and has remained so ever since. The longest tenant,
Erected by Warren County Philanthropic Partnership; Girl Scouts Troop 225; and N.Y.U.T. Salon & Clothing, LLC. (Marker Number 816.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is August 25, 1898.
Location. 41° 21.687′ N, 93° 33.708′ W. Marker is in Indianola, Iowa, in Warren County. Marker is on West Ashland Avenue west of North Howard Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, on the right/east corner of the front façade. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 West Ashland Avenue, Indianola IA 50125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 116 West Ashland (here, next to this marker); 120 West Ashland (a few steps from this marker); 122 West Ashland (a few steps from this marker); 124 West Ashland (a few steps from this marker); 126 West Ashland104 West Ashland (within shouting distance of this marker); 102 West Ashland (within shouting distance of this marker); 100 West Ashland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianola.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Warren County Courthouse Square
Also see . . . Hy-Vee: Our History.
Charles Hyde and David Vredenburg opened a small store in Beaconsfield, Iowa, in 1930. The store was leased only a few weeks before the stock market crash of October 1929. The two men began calling their operation Hyde & Vredenburg in 1933. On January 1, 1938, the partners and 14 others incorporated 15 Iowa and Missouri stores as Hyde & Vredenburg, Inc. In addition to the stores, the company operated an office, warehouse, mill and meat plant, all located in Lamoni, Iowa; a bakery was opened later that year.(Submitted on January 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.