Sinton in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Sinton
Serving the community of Sinton since the early 20th century, the roots of the First United Methodist Church date back to earlier interdenominational services. Between 1894, when the charter for Sinton Town Company was granted, and 1908, there was no organized Protestant church in the town. However, Christians met regularly for worship and were ministered to by visiting pastors of different denominations. The local Methodist lay leader, W.T. Barnhouse, served when no ordained Methodist minister was available.
In 1907, the Sinton Town Company passed a resolution donating one lot to any group wishing to erect a church building. Members of the Church of Christ accepted the offer and built the first Protestant Church building in Sinton. There, the practice of alternating preachers and denominational services continued. In 1908, Sinton Methodists organized, erecting their first church building that year.
First United Methodist Church of Sinton has a long history of community service. As a driving force within the church, the women held events to raise donations and funds. A former victim of flood damage itself, the church
Through the years, notable pastors, such as the Rev. J.J. Mason, led the church as it grew. Members have also entered fulltime ministry and have supported overseas missionaries. Today, First United Methodist Church continues to provide for the spiritual, physical and educational needs of the community of Sinton.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13980.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 28° 2.194′ N, 97° 30.854′ W. Marker is in Sinton, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is on West Sinton (Business U.S. 77), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 W Sinton, Sinton TX 78387, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Courthouses of San Patricio County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odem Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 7.3 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 7.3 miles away); Odem Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 7.3 miles away); Welder Ranch (approx. 7˝ miles away); Odem First Baptist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sinton.
More about this marker. The marker stands to the left of the front door to the church building (to the left of the steeple).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2022, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2022, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.