Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Methodist Church

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
1. Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1869 George Bounds and Thomas B. Taylor took the lead in building this church, and opened it in 1871. The center section was built first, and in 1906 an education wing was built on the east side. A new educational building with large kitchen and fellowship hall was added in 1962. A large cemetery was begun behind the church when it was built. Across the street, in what is now the Church parking lot, a large 3-story multi-use building stood, serving many roles. It began as meeting hall for the Grange, then in 1879 a town library, and home to the local Lyceum theater group. In the early 1900s it became YaYa's Place, a grocery/butcher shop, restaurant, oyster bar/ice cream parlor, saloon and dance hall, butcher shop, and even living quarters. Later, the Methodist Church bought the land and the building, in poor condition, was razed in the mid-1900s.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEntertainment
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 38° 27.631′ N, 75° 45.359′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Main Street just east of Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 312 Main St, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Bacon Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Graham-Whitelock Home (within shouting distance of this marker); BC&A Railroad Freight Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lodge Hall (about 400 feet away); Livery Stable (about 500 feet away); Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store (about 500 feet away); Cannery Warehouse (about 600 feet away); Memorial Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
The current Methodist church now stands where its predecessor once did. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
2. The current Methodist church now stands where its predecessor once did.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190263

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024