Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Barren Creek Springs Church

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
Barren Creek Springs Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, January 14, 2022
1. Barren Creek Springs Church Marker
Inscription.  This small chapel-like building on the small rise on the north bank of the Barren Creek was built by 1842, and may have begun life a bit earlier as a school. Land was donated by local farmer Joshua Brattan, one of the important town builders of Barren Creek Springs, on the condition that a Presbyterian church be built there. Brattan also apparently constructed the building, which also continued to serve as a school for several years. Later when the Presbyterian congregation moved to Salisbury the church passed to the Episcopal Church. Over the next hundred years it was used at time by Baptists, Methodists, Boy Scouts, and others. In 1989 it was donated by the last owners, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Gunby to Westside Historical Society who have restored it. No longer affiliated with a religious denomination, it is exhibited as an historic site, and is open to public use for weddings or other events.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Barren Creek Springs Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, January 14, 2022
2. Barren Creek Springs Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
EducationFraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, and the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 38° 27.64′ N, 75° 45.093′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker can be reached from Main Street, 0.1 miles west of Ocean Gateway (U.S. 50), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Main St, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mason-Dixon Stone (a few steps from this marker); The Springs at Barren Creek… (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Barren Creek Springs Hotel (about 300 feet away); Barren Creek Spring House (about 300 feet away); Native Americans (about 300 feet away); Brattan-Taylor-Truitt Home (about 700 feet away); Lodge Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Livery Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site plaque for the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, January 14, 2022
3. American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site plaque for the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190288

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 17, 2022