Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Steinauer in Pawnee County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Steinauer Community Heritage House

 
 
Steinauer Community Heritage House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 3, 2021
1. Steinauer Community Heritage House Marker
Inscription.  This structure was built in 1874 by Joseph A. Steinauer, the first Postmaster of the village. It was used as a post office, a bank, and a newspaper office. The bank was moved in 1888 to its current location, and the newspaper was discontinued in 1932. The building was used as a post office until 2011.
 
Erected by Steinauer Community Heritage House; and Pawnee County Promotional Network. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 40° 12.383′ N, 96° 14.099′ W. Marker is in Steinauer, Nebraska, in Pawnee County. Marker is on 2nd Street just west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is near the northwest corner of the Steinauer Community Heritage House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 2nd Street, Steinauer NE 68441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jailhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Park (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Steinauer Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bank of Steinauer (about 400 feet away); Opera House (about 400 feet away); Knights of Columbus Hall (about 500 feet away); N.A. Steinauer Home (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Steinauer.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Steinauer Community Heritage House Walking Tour
 
Also see . . .  Steinauer Heritage House.
Formerly, the Steinauer Post Office. Established in 1874. The building originally held the Bank and Post Office. The first Postmaster was Joseph A. Steinauer. It discontinued its use as a post office in 1992, then a community post office until 2011.
(Submitted on January 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Steinauer Community Heritage House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 3, 2021
2. Steinauer Community Heritage House Marker
(looking southeast from 2nd Street • Community Heritage House in background)
Steinauer Community Heritage House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 3, 2021
3. Steinauer Community Heritage House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190300

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024