Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carabelle in Franklin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Carabelle Town Center

 
 
Carabelle Town Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 8, 2021
1. Carabelle Town Center Marker
Inscription.  The Carabelle Town Center was once part of the Franklin Lumber Company mill site owned by James Coombs, which operated along the north shore of the Carrabelle River from 1875 to 1928. Ships came from around the world seeking cypress timber, turpentine, and naval stores. At the time, Carrabelle was only accessible by railway and steamboat. In 1923, the new McIntyre Ferry, at the confluence of the Ochlockonee and Crooked rivers near Sopchoppy, opened and allowed travel from Tallahassee to Carrabelle. The old growth cypress was fully harvested by 1928, and the mill was shuttered. The next year, the former mill site was platted and surveyed into blocks and lots known as the Coombs Addition, which became Carrabelle Town Center. The brick building on this site, built in 1930, served as a Standard Oil filling station, a Western Union telegraph, and a small grocery. Owned by the Wathen family, it had the first electric-powered gas pumps in town. In 1931, the opening of the Davis Island Ferry across the Carrabelle River allowed for travel west to Eastpoint. Construction of the John Gorrie Bridge across Apalachicola Bay in 1935 completed the new Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
98 for automobile travel along the gulf coast in Franklin County.
 
Erected 2020 by Jack T. May, Carabelle Historical Preservation, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1117.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 29° 51.078′ N, 84° 39.894′ W. Marker is in Carabelle, Florida, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest Avenue A (U.S. 98/319) and Tallahassee Street, on the right when traveling west on Northwest Avenue A. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 Northwest Avenue A, Carrabelle FL 32322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World's Smallest Police Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Legend of Tate's Hell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marvin N. Justiss Building (about 400 feet away); World War II D-Day Training Site (approx. 2.2 miles away); Camp Gordon Johnston Training Area (approx. 2.3 miles away); Crooked River Lighthouse History (approx. 2.7 miles away); Camp Gordon Johnston (approx. 4.4 miles away); William Augustus Bowles (approx. 13.9 miles away).
 
Carabelle Town Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 8, 2021
2. Carabelle Town Center Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2022, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2022, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190602

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024