Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Powderly in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Maxey

 
 
Camp Maxey Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2021
1. Camp Maxey Marker
Inscription.  Recognizing in 1940 that hosting peacetime draftees might revive the county's economy, the city of Paris sent a request for the army to build a training camp here. The local American Legion acquired land options.

Delegations from the Chamber of Commerce of Lamar County received initial support, but Congressman Lyndon Johnson moved the planned camp to his district at Bastrop. In response U.S. Senator Tom Connally and army officials ensured a camp for Paris, confirmed in July 1941. The 70,000 acre site was being surveyed when the U.S. entered World War II in December.

Camp Maxey, named for C.S.A. General and U.S. Senator Sam Bell Maxey from Paris, was activated on July 15, 1942. Its main entrance was "Gate 5" marked by stone portals at this site. Two infantry divisions, the 102nd "Ozark" and 99th "Checkerboard," trained here with the 250th Field Artillery and other army units. A regional hospital and a prisoner of war camp hosting 7,000 Germans were part of the reservation.

Local women formed the "Maxey Command" to host dances for the total of 194,800 soldiers stationed here. Area residents housed thousands of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
dependents and filled 10,300 civilian jobs on base. The camp was closed when the P.O.W. stockade was vacated in early 1946.
 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8186.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is July 15, 1942.
 
Location. 33° 46.892′ N, 95° 32.103′ W. Marker is near Powderly, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2648 west of U.S. 271, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powderly TX 75473, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Providence Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Site of Fulton's Trading Post (approx. 6.7 miles away); Site of Lafayette (approx. 7.2 miles away); Atkinson-Morris House (approx. 7.8 miles away); St. Paul Baptist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Old Cemetery of Paris (approx. 8.2 miles away); Paris (approx. 8.3 miles away); Lamar County Courthouse (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Camp Maxey - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 21, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.) 
 
Camp Maxey Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, November 21, 2021
2. Camp Maxey Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2022, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190767

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024