Americus in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sumter County Courthouse Bell
There have been four courthouses in Sumter County since it was incorporated in 1832. The first, a simple wooden structure, was built in 1833 on East Forsyth Street. In 1848 a Georgian type brick courthouse was constructed on the square between West Lamar and West Forsyth. This was used until 1887 when a Victorian type courthouse was built on North Lee Street. The fourth courthouse of Sumter County located on this site is a modern one-story brick building faced with pink Georgia marble.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 32° 4.302′ N, 84° 14.329′ W. Marker is in Americus, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker can be reached from South Dudley Street just south of West Lamar Street (State Route 49), on the right when traveling south. Marker and bell are located on the Sumter County Courthouse grounds, near the southeast corner of the courthouse. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sumter County in the Civil Rights Movement (a few steps from this marker); Luther H. Story (a few steps from this marker); Sumter County (a few steps from this marker); Washington Elm Tree (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Poverty Housing: A Global Epidemic (about 800 feet away); Welcome to Asia/Pacific (about 800 feet away); Deadly Insects (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to Latin America/Caribbean (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Americus.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 23, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.