Riverdale Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The school opened in September 1895 with Elizabeth McGee in the role of both teacher and principal for about 40 students. One youngster described Mrs. McGee as a short elderly woman who maintained order in the classroom with a memorable glare. The school grew so rapidly that an assistant teacher was hired in 1898. By 1899, an addition was built on the original school and an adjecent house was used as an annex. The school was used until 1919 when students moved to a larger building constructed at the corner of Riverdale and Taylor Roads, which is the site of the Riverdale Elementary School today. The original school was not used
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1849.
Location. 38° 57.669′ N, 76° 55.872′ W. Marker is in Riverdale Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Riverdale Road west of Taylor Road. Marker is on the grounds of Riversdale Mansion, near the gateposts. Riverdale Road is parallel to East-West Highway (State Route 410). Taylor Road has an intersection with East-West Highway two blocks north of Riverdale Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale MD 20737, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riverdale Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Riversdale Dependency (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Signs of War (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Riversdale (about 400 feet away); This Demiculverin (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,576 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 21, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 30, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.