Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fitzgerald Rotary Club
The Rotary Club of Fitzgerald was chartered on December 21, 1936, through the sponsorship of the Columbus Rotary Club. The organizational meeting was held December 1, 1936 in the office of J. C. McDonald. There were twenty-six charter members. S. B. Bowers, Sr., Harvey L. Jay, J. H. Mayes, J. C. McDonald, Neil Peavy, J. B. Russell, and J. Gould Williams were elected as directors with charter officers being J. C. McDonald, President, J. H. Mayes, Vice-president, Harvey L. Jay, Secretary, Neil Peavy, Treasurer, and Lauren Parrott, Sergeant-at-arms. The Lee-Grant Hotel was selected as the meeting place every Tuesday at 12:30 o’clock P.M. with the first meeting being held on December 8, 1936. The Charter Night Banquet was held January 26, 1937, at 8:00 o’clock P.M. in the American Legion Home. Every member except one was present and there were about 75 guests present. K. D. White, President of the Columbus Club, presided. J. Quentin Davidson, on behalf of the Columbus Club, presented the Fitzgerald Club with a bell and gavel. The highlight of the meeting was the presentation of the Charter to the Club by District Governor Joel Chandler Harris,
The Fitzgerald Club has been the home of strong business, economic, professional and community leaders who sought to make Fitzgerald and Ben Hill County the ideal community to live, work, worship, and play in comfort and peace and where dreams can come true. Literacy has been a mainstay of the Club. Superintendents, principals and Board of Education members have consistently been leaders in the Club and the community. During his term as Club President in 1978, Owen Segraves helped establish the Rotary Top Ten program that annually recognizes the ten highest academically achieving students in grades nine through twelve with a banquet and plaque. In 1998 the Ben Hill Education Foundation began a partnership with the Rotarians to give a computer to the students that achieved top ten during all four years of their high school career. Internationally, the Club has sponsored numerous students through the Georgia Rotary Student program, group study exchange, provided clean water, medical equipment and supplies, and mobile health buses through participation in global grant projects. Fitzgerald Rotary provided funding to help in eradicating the polio
This marker is dedicated on December 21, 2016 to observe the 80th anniversary of Fitzgerald Rotary and to re-commit to future generations its dedication to the Rotary motto of “Service Above Self”.
Erected 2016 by Fitzgerald Rotary.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 21, 1936.
Location. 31° 42.81′ N, 83° 15.264′ W. Marker is in Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pine Street and South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Pine Street. Marker is located in the South Main Street median, on the south side of Pine Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fitzgerald GA 31750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fitzgerald (about 600 feet away); Jefferson Davis Memorial State ParkBen Hill County (approx. ¼ mile away); Portable Confinement Cage (approx. ¼ mile away); In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co. (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
Also see . . . Fitzgerald Rotary Club (facebook). (Submitted on January 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.