Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Rotary Club of Augusta

 
 
The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 12, 2017
1. The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker
Inscription.  
On September 23, 1914, The Rotary Club of Augusta met for the first time in the former Albion Hotel, located here. Organized by attorney James M. Hull and local businessmen, the club promotes fellowship and service. Rotary began in Chicago in 1905 and supports community and economic development projects at home and abroad. The Augusta club sponsored the formation of four other Rotary clubs in the area. Over the years, the Augusta club established a Christmas Cheer fund, brought Boy Scouts and Junior Achievement to Augusta and has provided loans and scholarships to worthy college students. World peace, promotion of literacy, and the eradication of polio, Alzheimer's disease and unsanitary living conditions have been major initiatives supported by Rotarians through the Rotary International Foundation.

Erected by the Rotary Club of Augusta in recognition of the 100th Anniversary
of its founding, September 23, 2014

 
Erected 2014 by Rotary Club of Augusta.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
EducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsPeace. In addition, it is included in the Rotary International series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 23, 1914.
 
Location. 33° 28.492′ N, 81° 57.895′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Broad Street (Georgia Route 104) just east of 8th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 744 Broad Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Site in Journalism (within shouting distance of this marker); Emily Harvie Thomas Tubman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Edward Oglethorpe (about 500 feet away); James Brown (Plaza) (about 500 feet away); Untitled (Georgia Railroad and Banking Company) (about 600 feet away); Gen. Montgomery C. Meigs, U.S.A. (about 600 feet away); General James Edward Oglethorpe (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
 
Also see . . .  Rotary Club of Augusta.
The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 12, 2017
2. The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker
(looking east along Broad Street)
It was the 138th Rotary Club formed. Our club was an outgrowth of The Merchants and Manufacturers Association and was organized with high ethical standards that continue today. James M. Hull was the first president. Seven (7) District Governors have come from our Club. They are T. Harry Garrett, Reginald Maxwell, John Bell Towill, Charles H. Gibboney, Lee Curley, Bill Kemp, and Jim Puryear. The Augusta Rotary currently has 160 Members, the Club had a high of 206 members. We continue to give back to the community by sponsoring various clubs, GRSP students and participating in various community projects. The Club meets on Monday at 12:15 noon at the historic Enterprise Mill, located at the intersection of 15th Street and Greene St.
(Submitted on January 27, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 12, 2017
3. The Rotary Club of Augusta Marker
(looking west along Broad Street)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191174

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024