Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Civilian Conservation Corps
March 31, 1933 to June 30, 1942
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by the 73rd Congress in order to put young men to work restoring the natural resources of this country during the economic depression of the 1930s. It is estimated that the CCC planted over three billion trees in addition to construction of parks, bridges, dams, and trails.
Between 1933 and 1939 this area serve as the living quarters for the District "I" Supply Company of Fort Moultrie, S.C. The camp received and distributed supplies to the various camps throughout the southeastern United States. This sign serves as a tribute to the men stationed on Sullivan's Island serving the country during a very difficult period in American history.
Donated by relatives and friends of former CCC members and Town of Sullivan's Island, S.C. 2008
Erected 2008 by Relatives and friends of former CCC members and Town of Sullivan's Island.
Topics and series. This Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1860.
Location. 32° 45.604′ N, 79° 50.441′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Ion Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Moultrie (approx. 0.3 miles away); African American Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sergeant Jasper (approx. 0.6 miles away); Disappearing Rifle: The Endicott System (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Forgotten Branch Of The Service . . . The U.S. Army Coast Artillery (approx. 0.9 miles away); America Responds To A New Challenge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Water for the Army (approx. 0.9 miles away); Powerhouse (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sullivans Island.
1. Battery Gadsden
Since March, 1977, the Sullivan's Island / Edgar Allan Poe Library has been uniquely housed in renovated Battery Gadsden, a former Spanish-American War four-gun battery. Previously, the library had been located in the Sullivan's Island
The library is named for author Edgar Allan Poe, who was stationed on Sullivan's Island as a private in the United States Army in 1827 and 1828, and who used the island setting as the background for his famous story, "The Gold Bug."
Battery Gadsden was named for Brigadier General Christopher Gadsden, Colonel, 1st South Carolina Regiment, and Brigadier General Continental Army, who died on August 28, 1805. The Battery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in July, 1974.
Battery Gadsden was designed to mount four six-inch guns on pedestal mounts with fixed cartridges. Battery Gadsden was officially transferred to the Artillery on September 10, 1906. The four guns were removed for service in France in 1917, and the carriages were scrapped in 1920. The walls of the battery are two feet thick, a solid protection for the 16,000 books in the 2,000 sq. ft. library. The library circulated more than 44,000 items at the branch in FY2006.
— Submitted June 15, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie
2. Additional Notes on the Battery
It was built in 1906 as part of the Endicott defenses of Charleston harbor and had an armament of four 6-inchers on pedestal mounts.
— Submitted June 15, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,672 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 18, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.