Whitewater in Walworth County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Stone Stable
Circa 1845
The first use of the stone stable is a mystery. Its location suggests it was a residential outbuilding, serving as a horse barn and/or carriage house, but its size and type of construction is unusual for a typical outbuilding from the pioneer era. Historic records indicate it was probably built by Nelson Combs, a New Englander who came to Whitewater in 1845. Listed as a wagon-maker in the 1850 census, it is possible that Combs built the stone stable as a small wagon shop.
Combs left Whitewater around 1852, and for the rest of the 19th century the building was used as a horse barn. For a time, a large frame addition was attached to the building and used for the horses and carriages of members of the nearby Congregational Church. Eventually, the stone stable was acquired by the First English Lutheran Church. In 2003 the stone stable was scheduled for demolition, and local citizens formed the Stone Stable Leadership Group to save it. The group raised funds and volunteered many hours to disassemble and reconstruct the building which was dedicated on this site on November 17, 2007. Within the front wall there is a time capsule filled with personal stories and artifacts collected during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Home-Coming festival of 1907.
Just as the Halverson Log Cabin was preserved on the grounds of the UW-Whitewater campus in 1907 to honor the shared past of that era, the Stone Stable honors the shared past of Whitewater residents in 2007.
The Stone Stable is owned by the City of Whitewater and leased to the Whitewater Historical Society.
Caption #1 - Sanborn-Perris Map Company, Whitewater, 1912. This image shows the stone stable (small blue square center of map) in its original location in 1912. The large frame carriage house addition is still extant in this image.
Caption #2 - Community volunteers young and old worked throughout the summer of 2007 sorting original stones in preparation for the reconstruction of the stone stable.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Time Capsules series list.
Location. 42° 49.885′ N, 88° 44.028′ W. Marker is in Whitewater, Wisconsin, in Walworth County. It is on West Whitewater Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitewater WI 53190, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Wisconsin. It is also in the American Midwest, on the Great Lakes, and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture and also the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Whitewater Passenger Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Whitewater Historical Society Depot Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Veterans (approx. half a mile away); Cold Spring Historical Marker (approx. 4.7 miles away); Lincoln Hill (approx. 4.8 miles away); Black Hawk War Encampment (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fort Koshkonong (approx. 8.2 miles away); Panther Intaglio (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitewater.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Black Hawk War Encampment (was approx. 6.4 miles away but has been confirmed missing).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2022, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2022, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.


