Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

East Texas Baptist University

 
 
East Texas Baptist University Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
1. East Texas Baptist University Marker
Inscription.  Secondary education is a familiar institution in Marshall with academies dating back to the 1840s. During a 1911 banquet for donors to the new Southern Methodist University, Dr. William T. Tardy, the pastor of the First Baptist Church, was present. Invited to offer remarks, he urged the Methodists to begin a college in Marshall. In response, the Methodist leaders promised support for a Baptist college if Dr. Tardy would undertake it. In 1912, the charter for the College of Marshall was sealed for a two-year school, or junior college. Dr. Tardy negotiated the purchase of 100 acres of the original K.M. Van Zandt plantation. Fifty acres were to be sold to pay off the note. This along with numerous donations, community fundraisers and support from the Baptist General Convention of Texas helped raise funds to erect educational buildings on campus.

Under the leadership of the first president, Thurman C. Gardner, Marshall Hall, an educational facility with a gymnasium, laboratories, library, offices and classrooms, was completed in 1916. The first freshman class registered in 1917 and, by the 1918-1919 academic year, around 300 students
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
were enrolled. By the 1920s, dormitories encircled the campus quadrangle. An additional 43 acres were purchased in 1935, including the land and buildings of the St. Joseph's Boys Industrial Orphanage, some of which was converted to men's housing. During WWII, enrollment dropped severely but the college saw a vigorous postwar enrollment and building boom. In 1944, the college changed its name to East Texas Baptist College and was authorized to offer bachelors' degrees, and, in 1984, it was renamed East Texas Baptist University. The university continues to serve the honorable goal for higher education in east Texas.
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17691.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. 32° 33.344′ N, 94° 22.398′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of North Grove Street (Farm to Market Road 1997) and Rainey Street on North Grove Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to Marshall Hall on the campus of the East Texas Baptist University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1209 North Grove Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Van Zandt Hill (within shouting distance of this marker);
The East Texas Baptist University and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
2. The East Texas Baptist University and Marker
Marshall Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenwood Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Matthew Duncan Ector (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Gen. George Perry Rains (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Travis Hawthorn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshall Hebrew Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marshall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
 
Also see . . .  East Texas Baptist University.
East Texas Baptist University originated as the College of Marshall, chartered in 1912 as a result of the work of W. T. Tardy. The charter was amended later to conform to requirements of the Education Board of the Baptist General Convention. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the East Texas Baptist University and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 25, 2022
3. The view of the East Texas Baptist University and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191311

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024