Aubrey in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Aubrey
Early Disciples of Christ in this area met as part of a union church in the Spring Hill community, where several denominations held services under a brush arbor and in a local schoolhouse. In October 1894, the Disciples established this Christian church in Aubrey under the leadership of elders R. C. Horn and E. B. Holmes. A frame sanctuary here served the church until a tornado destroyed it in 1918. Members soon rebuilt and continued their support of missions and benevolences in the process. An early commitment to area Bible schools meant dramatic growth for the young church and set the course for its history of worship, service and outreach.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14877.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 33° 18.449′ N, 96° 59.163′ W. Marker is in Aubrey, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Main Street near East North Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Main Street, Aubrey TX 76227, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Belew Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Elm Fork Bridge (approx. 3.2 miles away); Green Valley Schools (approx. 4˝ miles away); Oak Grove Methodist Church (approx. 6 miles away); William Edmunds Bates (approx. 6 miles away); Pilot Point Church of Christ (approx. 6 miles away); City of Pilot Point (approx. 6.3 miles away); Pilot Point Post-Signal (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aubrey.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 1, 2022, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.