Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Broadway House / Milton YMCA

Capitol Theater Tribute

 
 
Broadway House / Milton YMCA Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 6, 2021
1. Broadway House / Milton YMCA Marker
Inscription.  
A major consideration following the Great Milton Fire of 1880 was the housing of out-of-town construction workers to rebuild Milton. Therefore, reconstruction of the town's hotels was a top priority, and it is said that the Broadway House was the first to be rushed to completion. Now a part of the YMCA complex, the historic building is located at the corner of Bound Avenue and Broadway. The three-story hotel had forty-two guestrooms, a restaurant, and a saloon/gentlemen's bar. There was a liquor store in the basement with an entrance at the front of the building.

Milton's Young Men's Christian Association was founded on May 14, 1878. The YMCA occupied several rental spaces in the downtown. In 1906, the YMCA owned its first property at 41 Broadway, the present site of the Lewis and Danzig accounting firm. It had a gymnasium and bowling lanes on the lower level. This building is now clearly visible from Arch Street, southwest of St. John's United Church of Christ.

In 1921, the YMCA purchased the Broadway House Hotel across the street. The gymnasium and pool complex to the rear of the building were added in 1933 at a cost of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
$60,000, which included extensive renovations to the landmark hotel building. Nearly one-third of the original hotel was razed to accommodate the new addition.

[photo captions]
• Above and below — the YMCA at 41 Broadway, across the street from the present Y building.

• 1965 - a remodeling celebration at the Y Teen Center. From left, Robert Izer, program director, Abe Berman, Carol McNeer, and Charles Beaverson, YMCA director. The center opened in 1955 and closed in 1972. Its predecessor was the famed Teen Canteen, located above Hoch's restaurant on South Front Street, which operated from 1945 to 1955.

• 1992 - it was resurrected by Y Board members who were former Y Teen Center participants, including George Venios, Peanut Woland, Jan Clemens, Lynn Mabus, and Joni Powell. Along with many other caring volunteers, they brought the program back to life and received national acclaim from the YMCA for their efforts in creating the TGIF and Jive programs.
 
Erected by Milton Historic Downtown Walking Tour.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkEntertainmentIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is May 14, 1878.
 
Location. 41° 1.222′ N, 76° 51.212′ W. Marker is in
Marker detail: Broadway House image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Broadway House
Milton, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is on Broadway Street (Pennsylvania Route 254) just west of South Arch Street (Pennsylvania Route 405), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located just north of the sidewalk in the Capitol Theater Tribute Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49 Broadway Street, Milton PA 17847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Milton Symphony Orchestra (here, next to this marker); The Broadway Lunch / Sunseri's Fruit Market (here, next to this marker); The Capitol Theater (here, next to this marker); Capitol Theater Tribute (here, next to this marker); The Hastings Printing Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clinger Lumber Company / Kepler Brothers Trucking Company (about 300 feet away); The L.M. & W. Trolley Company (about 400 feet away); Milton's Railroads (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Milton Historic Downtown Walking Tour
 
Also see . . .
1. Milton History: YMCA • 39-41 Broadway.
This building was first a millinery shop in 1884. In 1896 it was occupied by a barber shop, and by 1906 it housed the YMCA, until the Y was moved across the street to the Broadway House hotel building. The gymnasium
Marker detail: The Y Teen Center image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: The Y Teen Center
building in back was under construction in 1906.
(Submitted on February 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Milton History: Broadway House Hotel • 38-40 Broadway.
(From Industrial and Commercial Resources of Pennsylvania, Historical Publishing Company, 1887.) The old Broadway House was burned to the ground in 1880. It was the oldest and most prominent public house in Milton. Upon its ashes was erected the present model hotel, which enjoys the same degree of popularity for which the ancient hostelry was famous. It is a handsome three-story brick building, 63x168 feet, and contains thirty-five large, airy, and handsomely furnished sleeping-rooms, a dining-room with accommodations for seventy-five guests, elegant parlors, commodious sample-rooms, etc. The house is a general favorite with drummers, tourists, and theatrical troupe, and the citizens also find it so comfortable that many board and have their rooms here from one year's end to the other.
(Submitted on February 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Broadway House / Milton YMCA Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 6, 2021
4. Broadway House / Milton YMCA Marker
(looking southwest across Broadway Street • YMCA building is partially visible in right background)
Milton YMCA (<i>northeast elevation</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 6, 2021
5. Milton YMCA (northeast elevation)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 4, 2022, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191563

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024