Downingtown in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Located two miles south of Downingtown, it spans the East Branch of the Brandywine Creek connecting East and West Bradford Townships. One of eleven covered bridges that originally spanned the East Branch of the Brandywine, it is the only one still standing. It acquired the name Gibson's Bridge from a local farmer, James Gibson, who owned the land adjacent to the bridge on the east. The trolley line that ran between West Chester and Coatesville once had a stop at the east end of the bridge. The bridge was repaired and strengthened in 1959 for $3,470. In 1999, Hurricane Floyd hit the region and cracked the support. It was repaired for a cost of $650,000
[begin photo 2]
C. Marshall Incram.
Nathan C. Crimm.
E. H. Hall.
T. E. Schull.
Erected A.D. 1872.
[begin photo 3]
Gibson's Bridge over East Branch of Brandywine Creek
Built in 1872 -- Rehabilitated in 2003
Commissioners -- Colin A. Hanna, Chairman
----- Karen L. Martynick
----- Andrew E. Dinniman
Director of Facilities -- Theodore R. Jacobs
----- Design -- Hunt Engineering Company Inc.
Construction Management -- McCormick Taylor and Associates Inc.
Constructed by J. D. Eckman Inc. and
The Chester County Bridge Crew -- Robert Torello -- Foreman
Bridge Plaque Funding Provided by Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society
has been placed on
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 39° 58.57′ N, 75° 40.963′ W. Marker is in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Home and Arboretum of Humphry Marshall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Marshalton Inn (approx. 1.8 miles away); 1107 W. Strasburg Road (approx. 1.8 miles away); Humphry Marshall (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Humphry Marshall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Court of Quarter Sessions (approx. 1.8 miles away); Welcome to The Center House, or Martin's Tavern (approx. 1.8 miles away); Martin's Tavern and The Battle of Brandywine (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 9, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.