Whitehouse in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
"From Here They Served"
— 1776 - 1976 —
State Chapter #51
Erected by Old Whitehouse Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 40° 37.342′ N, 74° 45.942′ W. Marker is in Whitehouse, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on New Jersey Route 22, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitehouse NJ 08888, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockaway Valley Railroad 1888 (approx. half a mile away); Leake - Stillwell Mills (approx. half a mile away); White House Station (approx. half a mile away); Site of Colonel John Mehelm House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Readington Township Veterans Monument Blue Star Highway (approx. 1.4 miles away); Whitehouse Veterans Monument (approx. 2.1 miles away); Potterstown (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitehouse.
Also see . . . Abraham Van Horne. About 1750 Abraham Van Horne built the first tavern in the area. It was on the road from Clinton to Somerville where it crossed Rockaway Creek (now route 22). Because the building had white plastered walls it became known as the "White House". ... Stones from the tavern's foundation are said to be in the retaining wall about the old cemetery located not too far from the tavern's original site. (Submitted on May 27, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,178 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.