Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church
The first church building was erected in 1898 on Milam Street, rebuilt in 1902. Beginning in May 1926, Raymond Dickson offered the old Dickson home for use as a rectory when the house was dismantled, the sale of the lumber was used toward funds for a new rectory. A new church building was completed in 1951 and the old building on Milam was sold. For more than forty years (1962-2003), the parish sponsored St. Thomas’ Day School (later St. Thomas’ Episcopal School), which produced many honor graduates of Wharton High School.
Occasionally, church services were conducted in Newgulf since so many members worked for the Texas Gulf Sulphur Company. In addition, the church assisted with St. Thomas' thrift shop, Angel Tree Ministry, Wharton County Women's Crisis Center, Vacation
Through support service and outreach, St. Thomas’ Episcopal Church has impacted Wharton and the surrounding areas for well over a century.
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18680.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 5, 1867.
Location. 29° 19.266′ N, 96° 5.662′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is at the intersection of Bob-O-Link Lane and North Rusk Street, on the left when traveling east on Bob-O-Link Lane. The marker is located on the south entrance to the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 Bob-O-Link Lane, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Wharton (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Nettie Elkins House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Judge Edwin Hawes House (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wharton Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Joseph A. Hamilton House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.