Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bay City in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Bay City

 
 
First Baptist Church of Bay City Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 11, 2022
1. First Baptist Church of Bay City Marker
Inscription.  Members of Trespalacios Baptist Church, a Matagorda County congregation established in the early 1850s, organized a Baptist church in the nearby community of Red Bluff in 1889. In 1895 they moved the church to the new county seat of Bay City, changed the name to First Baptist Church of Bay City, and joined the Colorado Baptist Association. In its early years the congregation met in a commercial building and the Methodist Church building and participated in a Union school with other local denominations.

The Rev. J.H. Thorn became the first full-time pastor in 1903, the year the congregation erected its first sanctuary. The building, destroyed in a 1909 hurricane, was replaced with a tabernacle and later with a brick structure at this site in 1915. The congregation completed an auditorium in 1941 and an education addition to its sanctuary in 1947. First Baptist Church was instrumental in the establishment of Calvary Baptist Church in 1947 and Emmanuel Mexican Mission which it sponsored from 1930 to 1989. Active in community outreach programs, the church opened a child development center in 1979 and an educational center in 1987. First
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Baptist Church continues to serve the community with a variety of ministries.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1614.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 28° 58.793′ N, 95° 58.184′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street and Avenue F, on the right when traveling west on 4th Street. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2321 Avenue F, Bay City TX 77414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tribune Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bachman Grocery (about 500 feet away); Le Tulle Building (Commercial Style) (about 600 feet away); Bay City Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Lewis Building (about 700 feet away); Austin Building (about 700 feet away); Wells Fargo Express (about 700 feet away); Brunner Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay City.
 
The entrance to the First Baptist Church of Bay City and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 11, 2022
2. The entrance to the First Baptist Church of Bay City and Marker
The view of the First Baptist Church of Bay City and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 11, 2022
3. The view of the First Baptist Church of Bay City and Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=191965

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024